Sunday, February 13, 2011

Emerald Greens



This week's PA produce bundle included collard greens. My first thoughts went to collard greens simmered with turkey neck bones. The flavor of collards cooked this way is always delicious but the color leaves much to be desired. With extra celery and shallots at my disposal I searched for a new way to prepare the greens. And then, Chef Valerie Erwin came to mind.

Chef Erwin of the Geechee Girl Rice Cafe in Philadelphia was featured on a local morning show sautéing collard greens with bell peppers and onions. Her greens turned out such a vibrant green that left me so intrigued I had to experience these collards in person. A few days later, I stopped in for dinner at Geechee Girl Rice Cafe for an appetizer of sweet potato tostones followed by beautifully broiled rainbow trout served with the infamous collard greens and mashed sunchokes. What a treat!

The collards were a brilliant bright green that is acquired by blanching them in boiling water before sautéing them. While I love the flavor and look of these greens, I was disappointed at the thought of the collards' powerful nutrients being left behind in the cooking water. I decided that if I replicate the dish at home, I would have to save the cooking liquid.

At home this week in my kitchen, I blanched my collards, sautéed them with celery and shallots and seasoned them with ground cumin and lemon juice. What a flavorful combination!

I used the green broth from blanching the greens to then cook polenta. When the polenta reached its creamy serving point, I finished it with a little smoked sea salt and cayenne pepper. Surprisingly, I perceived no remnant of the mild bitterness of the collard green water. Just simple hearty sweet polenta.

Blanching collard greens is a way to experience their vibrant emerald green color. Just be sure to cook polenta, short-grain brown rice or other grains in the green cooking liquid to take full advantage of the rich nutrients collards possess.

Thank you, Chef Erwin, for the inspiration!

Collard Greens with Cumin and Lemon Juice over Cayenne Sweet Potatoes and Stone-Ground Polenta

No comments: